What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beautiful!!

+3
Lynn
Ed
cat
7 posters

Go down

Beautiful!! Empty Beautiful!!

Post by cat Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 am

http://kennethg.blogspot.com/2009/02/mass-migration-of-stingrays-gulf-of.html

A friend sent these pics to me and I just wanted to share Click on pic for larger image.

Enjoy!!!

Cat
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1598
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Beautiful!! Empty Re: Beautiful!!

Post by Ed Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 am

Beautiful!! Steve-chased-by-the-stingray
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by cat Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:38 am

don't make me get the whip, Ed!!

Twisted Evil
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am

That is really cool!! I love stingrays! We actually swam with schools of them out in the "wild" in Grand Cayman a few times and they are just the coolest to watch! They are very friendly too, when they know you have squid in your hand Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by cat Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Lynn wrote:That is really cool!! I love stingrays! We actually swam with schools of them out in the "wild" in Grand Cayman a few times and they are just the coolest to watch! They are very friendly too, when they know you have squid in your hand Laughing

That sounds really awesome!

Cat
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bianca Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:20 am

Ed wrote:Beautiful!! Steve-chased-by-the-stingray

What were Steve Irwin's last words?
"Cor, spikey!"
Bianca
Bianca
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by cat Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 am

Bianca wrote:
Ed wrote:Beautiful!! Steve-chased-by-the-stingray

What were Steve Irwin's last words?
"Cor, spikey!"

affraid
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by happytrails Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am

Last edited by happytrails on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

happytrails
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Beam Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

So as to satisfy your siggy here happytrails do you still wade about the waters there? Smile
Moon Beam
Moon Beam
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by happytrails Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Last edited by happytrails on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

happytrails
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

happytrails wrote:As beautiful as these things may look, I can assure you from personal experience being stung by one hurts like hell! I have spent time at the beach here at the Gulf of Mexico every summer since I was born and had never encountered them before. When I was about 28, I was wading in water just above my knees and I was stung - not once but twice. I never even saw the thing. I ran from the water screaming to find my foot bleeding and two puncture wounds. Then the venom kicked in and the pain really started. It was excruciating. For any of you who have every been stung by a jellyfish (no SpongeBob jokes, please), it is about 10 times as painful being stung by a stingray. By the time we reached the ER, my entire lower leg was in pain. I finally get back to see a doctor and what is the initial treatment? They stick my foot and leg in a bucket of boiling water and I mean scalding hot! Apparently, the boiling water neutralizes the protein in the venom and causes the worst of the pain to stop. You then have to be xrayed to see if there is still parts of the "barb" left in the wound. Finally they gave me a tetanus shot which I had a bad allergic reaction to. They said by the size of the barb and the puncture wounds they estimated the stingray to "only" have about a 5 foot wingspan. Only? Hell I wonder how bad it would have hurt if it had been a full grown stingray! I still have the freaking little round scars on the top of my foot... Mad

That's why you visit them in a place like Grand Cayman where boats and boats of people arrive all day long to interact with them year after year. They have no fear of humans. It started with fisher boats cleaning their fish that attracted them to the sand bar, and then someone got the idea to make it a tourist attraction. They do tell you to shuffle your feet, though I never actually saw any sitting in the sand. They are HUGE and they swim around looking to be fed. The worst thing that happened to me was not holding the squid properly for one of them to eat and he sucked on my hand so hard it caused a mark Embarassed Luckily they have no teeth.
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Lynn wrote:
happytrails wrote:As beautiful as these things may look, I can assure you from personal experience being stung by one hurts like hell! I have spent time at the beach here at the Gulf of Mexico every summer since I was born and had never encountered them before. When I was about 28, I was wading in water just above my knees and I was stung - not once but twice. I never even saw the thing. I ran from the water screaming to find my foot bleeding and two puncture wounds. Then the venom kicked in and the pain really started. It was excruciating. For any of you who have every been stung by a jellyfish (no SpongeBob jokes, please), it is about 10 times as painful being stung by a stingray. By the time we reached the ER, my entire lower leg was in pain. I finally get back to see a doctor and what is the initial treatment? They stick my foot and leg in a bucket of boiling water and I mean scalding hot! Apparently, the boiling water neutralizes the protein in the venom and causes the worst of the pain to stop. You then have to be xrayed to see if there is still parts of the "barb" left in the wound. Finally they gave me a tetanus shot which I had a bad allergic reaction to. They said by the size of the barb and the puncture wounds they estimated the stingray to "only" have about a 5 foot wingspan. Only? Hell I wonder how bad it would have hurt if it had been a full grown stingray! I still have the freaking little round scars on the top of my foot... Mad

That's why you visit them in a place like Grand Cayman where boats and boats of people arrive all day long to interact with them year after year. They have no fear of humans. It started with fisher boats cleaning their fish that attracted them to the sand bar, and then someone got the idea to make it a tourist attraction. They do tell you to shuffle your feet, though I never actually saw any sitting in the sand. They are HUGE and they swim around looking to be fed. The worst thing that happened to me was not holding the squid properly for one of them to eat and he sucked on my hand so hard it caused a mark Embarassed Luckily they have no teeth.

I like one of them in my bed at night Cool Laughing
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2131
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Beam Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:57 am

Styxman wrote:

Of course you would Styxman. Laughing
Moon Beam
Moon Beam
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Moon Beam wrote:
Styxman wrote:

Of course you would Styxman. Laughing

I changed my mind Moon, found this 80 year old without teeth....holy fuck, can she suck Cool
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2131
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down