What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

2 posters

Go down

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Empty Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:57 am

Rio de Janeiro ("River of January", pronounced [ˈxi.ʊ dʒɪ ʒaˈneɪ.ɾʊ] in Portuguese, [ˈriːoʊ di ʒəˈnɛroʊ] in English), is the second largest city of Brazil and South America, behind São Paulo, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America, behind São Paulo and Buenos Aires. It is the state capital of Rio de Janeiro. The city was the capital of Brazil for nearly two centuries, from 1763 to 1822 during the Portuguese colonial era, and from 1822 to 1960 as an independent nation. It is also the former capital of the Portuguese Empire (1808 - 1821). Commonly known as just Rio, the city is also nicknamed A Cidade Maravilhosa, or "The Marvelous City".

Rio de Janeiro is famous for its natural settings, its Carnival celebrations, samba and other music, and hotel-lined tourist beaches, such as Copacabana and Ipanema. Some of the most famous landmarks in addition to the beaches include the giant statue of Christ, known as Christ the Redeemer ('Cristo Redentor') atop Corcovado mountain, named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World; Sugarloaf mountain (Pão de Açúcar) with its cable car; the Sambódromo, a giant permanent parade stand used during Carnival and Maracanã stadium, one of the world's largest football stadiums.
The city also boasts the largest and second largest urban forests in the world: Floresta da Tijuca, or "Tijuca Forest". and (almost connected to the first) the forest in Parque Estadual da Pedra Branca, or White Stone State Park. Galeão - Antônio Carlos Jobim International Airport connects Rio de Janeiro with many Brazilian cities and also operates several international flights.

Despite its charm and beauty, Rio is reputed to be one of the most violent cities in the world and motivated movies such as Bus 174, City of God and Elite Squad portraying severe social issues. Much of the violent crime is concentrated in the favelas or shantytowns but it also spills into middle- and upper-income neighborhoods. In Rio, unlike other major cities, many of the slums are directly adjacent to some of the wealthiest areas of the city.

Last edited by Ed on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Empty Re: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Post by SilverBlack Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 am

WTF??? Ed, have you been drinking already?
SilverBlack
SilverBlack
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 am

SilverBlack wrote:WTF??? Ed, have you been drinking already?

Nope. Steve Perry was Portuguese and I want to pander to him. Since Brazilians speak that language and Kiss just played there I must find out everything about their culture.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverBlack Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:00 am

Ed wrote:

Nope. Steve Perry was Portuguese and I want to pander to him. Since Brazilians speak that language and Kiss just played there I must find out everything about their culture.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Bee in your bonnet?
SilverBlack
SilverBlack
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 am

SilverBlack wrote:
Ed wrote:

Nope, but that beer you suggested sounds like a good idea. jocolor
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverBlack Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

Ed wrote:
SilverBlack wrote:
Ed wrote:

Nope, but that beer you suggested sounds like a good idea. jocolor

Beer makes great pancakes, light and fluffy.
SilverBlack
SilverBlack
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 am

I must have a Brazilian style meal. I wonder what odd things they eat that I could post about?
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverBlack Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am

don't know, but Brazil nuts can kill you
SilverBlack
SilverBlack
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 am

SilverBlack wrote:don't know, but Brazil nuts can kill you

I've heard the prostitutes in Rio will treat you like gold. Stay with you all day with the "girlfriend" treatment. You have to respect that.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:21 am

Geography

Rio de Janeiro is located at 22 degrees and 54 minutes south latitude, 43 degrees 14 minutes west longitude. The population of the City of Rio de Janeiro is about 6,136,652, occupying an area of 1,182.3 square kilometres (456.5 sq mi).
The population of the greater metropolitan area is estimated at 11-13.5 million. It was Brazil's capital until 1960, when Brasília took its place. Residents of the city are known as Cariocas. The official song of Rio is "Cidade Maravilhosa" (translated as "Marvelous City").

Climate
Rio has a tropical climate. The temperature occasionally reaches over 40°C (104°F) in inland areas of the city, and extreme maximum temperatures above 30°C (86°F) can happen every month. In the main tourist areas (south side, where the beaches are located), the temperature is moderated by the cool sea-breezes from the ocean.

The average annual minimum temperature is 20°C (68°F), the average annual maximum temperature is 26°C (79°F) and the average annual temperature is 23°C (73.5°F). The average yearly precipitation is 1,086 mm.[8] The minimum temperature recorded was 4.8°C (40°F) in July 1928, but temperatures below 10°C (50°F) are rare in most of the city today, the absolute maximum reached 43.2°C (110°F) in January 1984.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down