What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verizon Fios vs. Comcast

+2
Behshad
Ed
6 posters

Go down

Verizon Fios vs. Comcast Empty Verizon Fios vs. Comcast

Post by Ed Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Anyone have any opinions?
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Verizon Fios vs. Comcast Empty Re: Verizon Fios vs. Comcast

Post by Behshad Sat May 23, 2009 7:37 am

I'm getting verizon FIOS as soon as it's available here , which should be around 2020 Laughing
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Number of posts : 2448
Registration date : 2008-05-17

https://newwtf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Sat May 23, 2009 11:38 am

My install date is June 9th!
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by happytrails Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 am

Last edited by happytrails on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

happytrails
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Manarocks Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Ed wrote:My install date is June 9th!

Good for you, plus with your new TV. perfect match. Laughing Laughing Actually you will enjoy supposely clearer and faster.
Manarocks
Manarocks
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Be careful with FIOS, if you plan to use it for TV.

I've been a fios internet user since the very day it was available in my area...and for internet and phone, I can't recommend ANYTHING else. It's that good.

Given my excitement over the FIOS product, the very day my town granted TV franchise rights to verizon FIOS, I placed an order. I waited 3 agonizing weeks, cancelled my DirecTV (despite strong protests from my wife) and paid a $200 cancellation fee with DirecTV. I had been a subscriber of DTV for years, but about 2 months before that cancellation, I agreed to a 1 yr contract in exchange for a free new DVR.

Anyway, the day came, they installed...and all was good...until I went downstairs to send an email....connecting to verizon's email service took twice as long. Browsing suddenly became quirky, as I would have trouble connecting to some forums (at the time, MR.com was one of the forums I simply couldn't connect to)....

Without getting too much boring detail into this...what happened is that the FIOS router that replaced my linksys, was required to draw the guide information that the FIOS tv used. That router fucked with my connectivity in horrible ways.

Then, a few months later, the fios multi-room dvr started missing programs originally scheduled to record. The last straw, was when I ordered a second HD-capable tv for my house...and found out after the fact, that the multi-room dvr only provides HD programming for one set in the house ( a fact they conveniently left out of my original call with them, despite me asking them a direct question about this scenario).....

During this 4-5 month FIOS tv experiment, I also happened to notice that DirecTV added a TON of HD channels...and FIOS was (and still is) having a hard time catching up. Several channels that I watched regularly were available on DTV in HD but NOT on FIOS.

So I called back DirecTV, negotiated for them to credit me the original $200 bucks they banged me for....and resigned with them. I then warned verizon that if they didn't waive the $200 cancellation fee for the TV (I argued, successfully, that they misled me initially)....I would also cancel my internet and phone (that was an empty threat, but I gambled none-the-less).....

they agreed to drop the fee down to $100. I acquiesed, paid the fee and considered the fee a tuition fee on a lesson learned...

So in the end, I should have never left DirecTV. If you want the cheapest TV option...cable is usually the cheapest...no matter where you are. If you want the best picture, most options, DirecTV is the way to go. FIOS is somewhere in the middle.....

....but be warned that FIOS may or may not give you a serious internet problem (if you're also an internet subscriber) and that their DVR fucking sucks....
Frank
Frank
Frank Talk
Frank Talk

Number of posts : 483

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Tue May 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the FIOS TV Frank....
I have been a Dishnetwork customer for 7 years now and totally happy with their programming and their prices,,,, Once in a while I put in one of them empty threats about wanting to go to DTV and they throw in bunch of movies channels for free for 1 year and I stay !

The best DVR is arriving in June through Dish,,,, Vip922.... 1TB HDD, Full 1080p, with a built in Sling, that allows you to not only access your DVR from anywhere in the world to set up timers, but also to watch any of your channels anywhere in the world as long as you have internet connection,,(even on Iphone! )..... Cant wait for this baby to arrive...

bounce
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Number of posts : 2448
Registration date : 2008-05-17

https://newwtf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Tue May 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Appreciate the heads up Frank. I am going to try the FiOS TV, but if it causes problems I can always buy out. I had tons of problems with Comcast over the years and those end in 2 weeks when my install date arrives!
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by RVR Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I got FIOS and it is simply better than Comcast...love it...faster faster and faster...and being that I am a computer geek, I know what I am talking about...I like the FIOS TV too...no matter what Frank says! LOL

RVR
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Tue May 26, 2009 10:21 pm

RVR wrote:I got FIOS and it is simply better than Comcast...love it...faster faster and faster...and being that I am a computer geek, I know what I am talking about...I like the FIOS TV too...no matter what Frank says! LOL

I'm looking forward to it. I'm even getting 2 new computers for my home network to enjoy the upgraded speed fully.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down