What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's society vs. yesterday

4 posters

Go down

Today's society vs. yesterday Empty Today's society vs. yesterday

Post by Ed Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:36 pm

For some reason, the more suburban America became, the more it disintegrated socially. My personal opinion is that suburban life caused people to separate themselves from the world more than they ever had been able to before, allowing us to forget basic social skills. Our own personal comfort became more important than being part of a real community. Therefore, dressing to please oneself, no matter how distasteful or casual, became the norm.

I realize suburbanization isn't the only factor that led us to where we are today, but it has certainly affected our emotional and even physical well being. The fact that many amenities once reserved for the wealthy are now commonplace has also changed all of us. Air conditioning is a wonderful thing, but again, it forces us to put up walls and stay indoors when it's even the slightest bit uncomfortable. Automobile ownership is great, but again, we're stuck in our own capsule, insulated from the outside world.

A major factor that has changed all of us is technology. Before the advent of the personal computer, I wouldn't be able to communicate so freely with other people, all the while holed up in my own home or at work. We're together, but in reality, we're so far apart.

Reality dictates that we can't go back. Most people today wouldn't be able to withstand the pressures of urban life fifty years ago. We're simply too spoiled and too selfish to become that social. In the U.S., most of our problems come from our inability to socialize properly.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Today's society vs. yesterday Empty Re: Today's society vs. yesterday

Post by cat Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:11 pm

I agree - what a shock!!!

The more toys we have for communication, the less we actually communicate with each other.

Sure you can walk down the aisle in the grocery store and call home and ask if you need milk, however, whatever happened to just making a decision and living with it?

People do not want to take responsibility for themselves or their actions, so it is all done remotely.

yes - we have become too spoiked and too selfish - almost antisocial.

Being a "friend' on someone's myspace page carries more importance than actually befriending another human being - the possibility of sacrifice.

**waving from soapbox**

Cat
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1598
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm

What social skills?

Yes we are anti social.

My Daddy taught me a wonderful lesson about people. He told me, if someone can't introduce themselves to you with both their first and last name while looking you in the eye, you know there is a problem.......HOUSTON WE HAVE A F*CKING PROBLEM.

We met an old friend of Don's 2 weeks ago. One of the first things D did was to introduce me to the man. The man of course shook my hand and was pleasant but not once offered to introduce his wife to us. (yes it was his wife). I embarrassed the crap out of the guy by leaning forward and asking her name, she told me and I commented, "oh you must be the brains of the partnership". His face got beet red and you could tell he was pissed. (I always aim to please) Twisted Evil

Ed you started something with this thread!!
Kate
Kate
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2055
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Beam Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 pm

Why wouldn't he introduce his wife?, it's obviously his better half.
Moon Beam
Moon Beam
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down