What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference)

+2
cat
Ed
6 posters

Go down

Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Empty Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference)

Post by Ed Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am

Foreigner about to drop first new record in 15 years
Preview
Thursday, September 24, 2009
By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Foreigner_1_330
Jeff Pilson, Mick Jones, Kelly Hansen, Michael Bluestein and Tom Gimbel (Brian Tichy not pictured).

Kelly Hansen gets the sense that he's doing an admirable job as the new singer for Foreigner -- he doesn't like to say "replacement" singer -- but realizes that he's not in the best position to make that call.

"The fans have been amazing to me," he says. "Granted, I am aware that when people don't like you, they don't usually stick around after the show to tell you. So I get a skewed reading."

Hansen, who performs with the band this Saturday at PNC Park, joined Foreigner five years ago after seeing an article in the paper about a charity show that guitarist Mick Jones, founder and only original member, was doing in Santa Barbara. It was a revamping of Foreigner, which has been unstable in the vocal department since about 1990 when Lou Gramm left the first time. Gramm was briefly replaced by Johnny Edwards, which didn't go well, then returned a few years later only to be saddled with surgery for a benign brain tumor that affected his vocal abilities. Gramm and Jones played their last show together in 2002, and Gramm is now venturing into Christian rock.The show Hansen was reading about was a Foreigner project with Bonham singer Chaz West that lasted just one night.

After reaching out to Foreigner management, Hansen says, "They eventually sent me a CD, like a karaoke kind of thing, with five original Foreigner songs, and said, 'Put your voice on these.' "

Rather than being in a Foreigner tribute band, like the new singers for Journey and Yes, Hansen's track record involved stints with '80s metal band Hurricane (a one-hit wonder with "I'm On You To" in 1988), Slash's Snakepit and a project called Perfect World. "Yeah, I was doing this for 30 years so it's not like I was on YouTube and someone discovered me," Hansen says.

When Jones got Hansen's karaoke tape back, they hooked up for a jam session that lasted about an hour and a half.

"They called an hour later and said 'Listen, we have shows booked for next weekend. Can you start rehearsing tomorrow?' So I had five days to learn the show," Hansen says.

Suddenly, he found himself in the "surreal" situation of being a member of a beloved although decimated classic rock band with 14 Top 20 hits, including "Feels Like the First Time," "Hot Blooded" and "Cold as Ice," and album sales of more than 70 million.

"Coming from a singer's point of view," he says, "I'm a male tenor rock vocalist of a similar era, and my voice is somewhere in the same bag, so I was very aware of the band and really liked the band but didn't envision doing it or have the fantasy in my head. When we decided to do it, I felt like I could, and having Mick believe in me was important."

What fans get from Hansen is a voice that is remarkably similar to Gramm's, but a totally different and darker look -- kind of a cross between Alice Cooper and Steven Tyler.

"I'm just trying to be me," Hansen says. "My feeling is that if you're trying to be something other than who you are, you're going to be insincere. It just won't be real. When you're talking about music or art or cinema or literature, if you're not being honest and real, people are going to see that."

By the same token, Jones and Hansen set out to make sure that fans would be hearing the songs they way they originally heard them on the radio.

That concept extends to "Can't Slow Down," the first album of new Foreigner material since 1994's "Mr. Moonlight." The album, which drops at Walmart exclusively on Sept. 29, is a three-disc set that consists of the new 13-track record, new punched-up remixes of the old hits and a live DVD of the Hansen-fronted band.

The new stuff, written by Jones and Hansen and produced by Marti Frederiksen (Aerosmith, Def Leppard) sounds like Foreigner being true to Foreigner -- formulaic to the late '70s but with some modern kick, as if they have heard the Foo Fighters.

"With Mick being involved and being kind of the visionary of the band, I wasn't worried about it sounding like Foreigner," Hansen says. "Here's the reality: If you're going to do a new record by a band that has been around this long, there are going to be all kinds of expectations and they're going to run across the spectrum. If you try to make a record to satisfy what you think people want, again there is a sincerity issue there. You have to make something you think is good."

As for the new remixes, Hansen says, "It makes the songs punchier and more up to date without losing what they are. I think they'll fit in on playlists better. I think sometimes a lot of tunes that are a decade or two old don't fit playlists because of volume and EQ differences, as opposed to music that's out now."

Hansen knows that new records by classic rock bands can go either way -- below the radar like '00s records by Styx or REO Speedwagon or to the top of the charts like AC/DC and the Eagles. He's going to sit back and see what happens, but thinks Foreigner fans are anxious for new stuff.

"I'm not an expectations-type person," he says. "I believe if you expect things, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I would rather let it be what it is and hope that the fans get it and understand it and enjoy it. That's my hope, but I can't expect that. The response is going to be what it is and that is your lot in life as a musician."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09267/1000333-388.stm#ixzz0TSBsTyFN
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Empty Re: Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference)

Post by cat Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 pm

"Rather than being in a Foreigner tribute band, like the new singers for Journey and Yes,..."

Subtla.

Thanks Ed.

Cat
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1598
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Empty Re: Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference)

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:03 pm

Steve Perry was probably the individual in all of music that had the most "embarrassing" way of being found and he turned out to be the greatest singer ever. Who gives a fuck how or where they're found?!?! It's completely irrelevant...unless a band goes and recruits at a NAMBLA convention or an ACORN rally, I really have no problem with how they find their fucking singer.

PS And the article is inaccurate because Arnel was not in a Journey tribute band.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm

I think the point being missed here is that Foreigner isn't selling the "youtube overnight discovery" thing which I am so sick of hearing cum out of Neal Schlong's mouth. It's played out to death with Ripper Ownes, Pineda, and the fucktard Home Depot loser pretending to be Brad Delp.

Foreigner just have a new record, with a new singer who has already had some success. None of the overnight sensation hype.

You could almost detect a hint of resentment in Hansen's statement.

As for Pineda, he wasn't in a Journey tribute band. But he was in a cover band playing Journey songs, so it isn't far off the mark.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Ed wrote:I think the point being missed here is that Foreigner isn't selling the "youtube overnight discovery" thing which I am so sick of hearing cum out of Neal Schlong's mouth.

Because they can't. I don't think anyone gives a fuck about Kelly Hansen or, more importantly, his story. And whether you like it or not, most people like stories about hope and the fact that Pineda went from a homeless drug addict and resurrected his life, and was ultimately rewarded in spades is something other people are interested in. Hansen's story would be about as interested as watching grasshoppers butt fuck. And that's not his fault in any way.

And in all fairness, Neal only answers when he's asked. And, as far as we all know, it's the truth so what's he supposed to say? Youtube is nothing more than an incredible tool for people to anonymously surf for what they're looking for. In the case of a band seeking a singer, it's basically no different than listening to demo tapes without all of the aggravation.

Ed wrote:Foreigner just have a new record, with a new singer who has already had some success. None of the overnight sensation hype.

Arnel has never been labeled an overnight sensation in any way by the press. His story has been the main focus and the opinion of most of the writers as far as his singing goes is that he's a pretty darn good singer on the back catalog and that their first album sold very well.

Ed wrote:You could almost detect a hint of resentment in Hansen's statement.
I detected that as well. Can't blame him...their new album pretty much blows and I doubt it's gonna sell much after the first 3 weeks.

Ed wrote:As for Pineda, he wasn't in a Journey tribute band. But he was in a cover band playing Journey songs, so it isn't far off the mark.

No argument there. But it's worth noting that Arnel was a rock singer born into the wrong part of the world. He had contracts. He was noticed, but no one makes it out of there as a singer...until recently. The guy's hard work paid off.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:31 pm

How was Perry's story embarassing? Alien Project was slated to be signed by columbia (or was in fact signed)...the band broke up after the bassist's death. The tape went through the A&R channels to Herbert as a suggestion for Journey.

Doesn't sound embarassing at all....sounds rather mundane...
Frank
Frank
Frank Talk
Frank Talk

Number of posts : 483

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Frank wrote:How was Perry's story embarassing?

He gave up on himself and music, and it wasn't until Herbie Herbert plucked him off of a turkey ranch that he was discovered. The guy quit. Boy, did that serve as precursor of things to come.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Dan & Frank,
When the fuck are we gonna go through a keg together ??? Smile
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Number of posts : 2448
Registration date : 2008-05-17

https://newwtf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Behshad wrote:Dan & Frank,
When the fuck are we gonna go through a keg together ??? Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_smile

I'll be going through a keg in about 4 hours. Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_cool
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Ed wrote:
When the fuck are we gonna go through a keg together ??? Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_smile

I'll be going through a keg in about 4 hours. Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_cool

Which is why I didnt invite you Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Behshad, throw a party at your crib for any MR members and any WTF members that wanna come. I'd be there in a heart beat. Seriously, plan it out far enough in advance and schedule it around a decent concert and you'll have a big turnout. Beer and food at your house and then people can cab their drunk asses to hotels.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Actually if people just bring sleeping bags, itd be much easier for everyone Smile
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Behshad wrote:Actually if people just bring sleeping bags, itd be much easier for everyone Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_smile

I just had a mental picture of us all sitting around a campfire drinking and listening to Frank tell "Nick Schlong" stories, and it was hilarious. Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Would you invite Jeremey and Frontiers, B? Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_twisted
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Saint John wrote:

Behshad, throw a party at your crib for any MR members and any WTF members that wanna come. I'd be there in a heart beat. Seriously, plan it out far enough in advance and schedule it around a decent concert and you'll have a big turnout. Beer and food at your house and then people can cab their drunk asses to hotels.

Dan is right about planning it around a concert. I've put together a few of these things and am working on something for next summer. I just have to secure the entertainment once schedules free up.

It's a shame dcvader moved, because his house had the ultimate setup for live entertainment.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Ed wrote:
Saint John wrote:

Dan is right about planning it around a concert. I've put together a few of these things and am working on something for next summer. I just have to secure the entertainment once schedules free up.

It's a shame dcvader moved, because his house had the ultimate setup for live entertainment.

Where does Vader live now and how is he doing?
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Saint John wrote:
Behshad wrote:Actually if people just bring sleeping bags, itd be much easier for everyone Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_smile

I just had a mental picture of us all sitting around a campfire drinking and listening to Frank tell "Nick Schlong" stories, and it was hilarious. Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Would you invite Jeremey and Frontiers, B? Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_twisted
Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol Talk about a mental picture for sure...
Of course Id invite J & Frontiers,,, They'll be opening for GI JIM Smile
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Saint John wrote:

He's doing very well. He moved to Florida because that area of his business is really taking off and he's got family there.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Ed wrote:
Saint John wrote:

He's doing very well. He moved to Florida because that area of his business is really taking off and he's got family there.

Thanks. That's good to hear. Dave's a cool dude.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Ok, I know Dan doesn't like the new CD. I hate the DVD, but I like the new studio tracks.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehwmatt Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Frank wrote:How was Perry's story embarassing? Alien Project was slated to be signed by columbia (or was in fact signed)...the band broke up after the bassist's death. The tape went through the A&R channels to Herbert as a suggestion for Journey.

Most notable about this is the fact that he was making his own music rather than karaokeing it in smokey Asian bars... fuck, most Asians I know can't even drink! They get sloshed after three beers. I think a lot of them lack the enzyme other people have to break down booze.

Ehwmatt
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
Frank wrote:How was Perry's story embarassing? Alien Project was slated to be signed by columbia (or was in fact signed)...the band broke up after the bassist's death. The tape went through the A&R channels to Herbert as a suggestion for Journey.

Most notable about this is the fact that he was making his own music rather than karaokeing it in smokey Asian bars... fuck, most Asians I know can't even drink! They get sloshed after three beers. I think a lot of them lack the enzyme other people have to break down booze.

LMFAO! Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehwmatt Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Ed wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

LMFAO! Foreigner article (w/an amusing Journey reference) Icon_lol

Seriously, I used to have a filipino keyboardist, poor guy looked like he was gonna die when he'd be drinkin with us after a gig. He eventually just started nursing 3 beers (a beer an hour). He'd get all red in the face after 5 beers and just start goin apeshit. He was fun when he got wasted, I just think the hangovers killed him.

Ehwmatt
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down