What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video

4 posters

Go down

Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Empty Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video

Post by Ed Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm

This most likely final performance of Stairway To Heaven is much better than the disgraceful mess at Live Aid over 2 decades earlier.

Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Empty Re: Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video

Post by Saint John Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 am

Stay retired. That seemed slow, lifeless and tuned down.
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Empty Re: Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video

Post by Ehwmatt Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

Yeah, I can't believe this was almost 2.5 years ago already... it was terrible then and terrible now. They were downtuned a full step. That ain't Zepp.

Ehwmatt
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Yeah, I can't believe this was almost 2.5 years ago already... it was terrible then and terrible now. They were downtuned a full step. That ain't Zepp.

I have a question ... how weird would it sound to keep the music in its original key, but have the singer in a more comfortable key (down a half or full step)? Would that sound even more ridiculous than, say, the video in this thread? I only ask because when you tune down more than a half step it just becomes obvious and makes the song sound completely different. Perry on the FTLOSM tour and Journey with Pineda performed the songs a half step down and it's hardly noticeable. However, take the Bill Graham Tribute show when Perry showed up shit-faced and sang a full step down, and the songs were hardly recognizable. I still can't believe he showed up like that. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_lol
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:18 am

It's definitely tuned down, but I expected that. For a 60 year old I thought he did ok. I respect Plant a lot though for never succumbing to the lure of a full blown Zeppelin reunion for $$$$.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 am

Ed wrote:It's definitely tuned down, but I expected that. For a 60 year old I thought he did ok. I respect Plant a lot though for never succumbing to the lure of a full blown Zeppelin reunion for $$$$.

Yeah, but I think we just heard why! Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_lol Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_wink But I get your point. To see a "one-off' Perry with Journey show a full step down would be no problem at all for me. I would just ask that he show up a little more "focused" than The Bill Graham Tribute show. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_lol
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehwmatt Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

Saint John wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:Yeah, I can't believe this was almost 2.5 years ago already... it was terrible then and terrible now. They were downtuned a full step. That ain't Zepp.

I have a question ... how weird would it sound to keep the music in its original key, but have the singer in a more comfortable key (down a half or full step)? Would that sound even more ridiculous than, say, the video in this thread? I only ask because when you tune down more than a half step it just becomes obvious and makes the song sound completely different. Perry on the FTLOSM tour and Journey with Pineda performed the songs a half step down and it's hardly noticeable. However, take the Bill Graham Tribute show when Perry showed up shit-faced and sang a full step down, and the songs were hardly recognizable. I still can't believe he showed up like that. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_lol

It would just sound like you or me trying to sing something out of our range - off key and bad!

I think you might be trying to ask what if the singer dropped down an octave while the instruments stayed in the original E standard key, which would be the singer singing the same "note" but at a lower pitch. That could be done, but it'd definitely sound weird, especially in the context of high tenor vocals.

Ehwmatt
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks, Matt. And, yes, I meant an octave. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_smile
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am

I've got the full show on dvd if anybody wants it? Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_smile

PS.....BB, just got a boot of a Talisman show from 2007, from their last tour. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_cry Bittersweet watching Marcel in this. They did quite a few songs from 7. Let me know if you want a copy?

Also got a couple other dvd boots........Melbourne Australia JSSB 2004 show (killer) and Journey w/JSS in Germany '07 (Jeff did an amazing job on Open The Door, After The Fall, Remember Me). Yep, it was Christmas at Deb's house. Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_lol Zeppelin 12-10-07 - Stairway To Heaven video Icon_smile
Deb
Deb
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 am

Deb, I'll post my list of JSS video stuff when I get home.

I have the full Zep show too. Is yours shot from real far back in the arena? Mine is, but very watchable and clear sounding.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down