What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger Stadium being demoilshed

5 posters

Go down

Tiger Stadium being demoilshed Empty Tiger Stadium being demoilshed

Post by Ed Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Sad news for fans of baseball history.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2008/06/30/tiger-stadium.html
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Tiger Stadium being demoilshed Empty Re: Tiger Stadium being demoilshed

Post by Jrny1 Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:45 pm

AR wrote:Sad news for fans of baseball history.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2008/06/30/tiger-stadium.html
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2008/06/30/tiger-stadium.html[/quote[/url]]

GREAT stadium.....

e- pirat
Jrny1
Jrny1
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2008-05-23

http://www.ToadstickerProductions.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:01 am

Wow, I knew it would happen eventually. There goes a big part of my childhood. It was like a Sunday family ritual to go to a ballgame there. We would sit just off 3rd base. (Dad claims they were the best seats in the house) This went on for years, even when my daughter came along she was at the games also.

Some great great memories in that park for me. Big names too. One of my favorites was Mark "The Bird" Fydrich. This guy could fill the place. He was the tall lanky red wild haired pitcher, who when on the mound was in his own little world. The guy would have a long conversation with the ball.

Then the 1984 season. I was at most of the home games and was present for 2 of the World Series games between Detroit and the San Diego Padres. That was the year Sparky Anderson coined the phrase "Bless You Boys". Anderson himself was a hero in Detroit (yes because of the WS, the last one being in 1968 a year after the riots) but his many contributions to the children of Detroit, left him endeared to the people of the city. He started many organizations and sports clubs in city where most people wouldn't even venture into.

In the 90's, with the team and the building not doing well, it was sold to Tom Monaghan, owner and founder of Domino's Pizza. He opened the park up to concerts. I seen the Eagles, Rod Stewart and many more there. Since the building was so old, opened in 1913 I think the facilities were very poor, including lack of restrooms for women. They were put on the block and Monaghan rival Mike Ilitch (Little Ceasars Pizza/owner of the Red Wings) bought the team and the building. It was Ilitch who decided to can the building and erect Comerica Schomerica Park - The Money Pit.

After a game at the stadium alot of people would walk down to Lindell AC, owned by Alex Karras, best burgers in town. It closed when the stadium did.

Alot of great names came out of there, Cobb, Kaline, Willie Horton, Alan Trammel, Sweet LOu Whittacker, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, Jack Morris, Aurelio Lopez (Senor Smoke), Willie Hernandez and the long living voice of the Tigers Ernie Harwell, just to mention a few.

Sorry about the length, this brought so many memories back.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Kate
Kate
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2055
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by 3DG Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:27 am

Unfortunately it was only a matter of time...was always fun to go there to catch an Indians game Very Happy
3DG
3DG
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:04 pm

doka wrote:Wow, I knew it would happen eventually. There goes a big part of my childhood. It was like a Sunday family ritual to go to a ballgame there. We would sit just off 3rd base. (Dad claims they were the best seats in the house) This went on for years, even when my daughter came along she was at the games also.

Some great great memories in that park for me. Big names too. One of my favorites was Mark "The Bird" Fydrich. This guy could fill the place. He was the tall lanky red wild haired pitcher, who when on the mound was in his own little world. The guy would have a long conversation with the ball.

Then the 1984 season. I was at most of the home games and was present for 2 of the World Series games between Detroit and the San Diego Padres. That was the year Sparky Anderson coined the phrase "Bless You Boys". Anderson himself was a hero in Detroit (yes because of the WS, the last one being in 1968 a year after the riots) but his many contributions to the children of Detroit, left him endeared to the people of the city. He started many organizations and sports clubs in city where most people wouldn't even venture into.

In the 90's, with the team and the building not doing well, it was sold to Tom Monaghan, owner and founder of Domino's Pizza. He opened the park up to concerts. I seen the Eagles, Rod Stewart and many more there. Since the building was so old, opened in 1913 I think the facilities were very poor, including lack of restrooms for women. They were put on the block and Monaghan rival Mike Ilitch (Little Ceasars Pizza/owner of the Red Wings) bought the team and the building. It was Ilitch who decided to can the building and erect Comerica Schomerica Park - The Money Pit.

After a game at the stadium alot of people would walk down to Lindell AC, owned by Alex Karras, best burgers in town. It closed when the stadium did.

Alot of great names came out of there, Cobb, Kaline, Willie Horton, Alan Trammel, Sweet LOu Whittacker, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, Jack Morris, Aurelio Lopez (Senor Smoke), Willie Hernandez and the long living voice of the Tigers Ernie Harwell, just to mention a few.

Sorry about the length, this brought so many memories back.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Don't worry, your post brought back a lot of memories for me. I grew up in Wisconsin, and went to Milwaukee County Stadium a lot.
I remember "The Bird" very well. Bob Uecker was the Brewers radio color guy. You should have heard him describing Fydrich's antics on the mound. ABSOLUTELY hilarious!
Then in 1980, I moved out here, and missed the Brewers in the '82 World Series. That was the only time I really got homesick. So in '84, I MADE SURE I went to all the Padres playoff games, including the World Series against the Tigers.
And you reminded me of when Alex Karras used to play with the Lions against the Packers.
Alan Trammel, from San Diego. Kirk Gibson. Didn't he play end for Michigan? I know he played against the Padres with the Dodgers too.
My girlfriend's from Detroit, and a couple of years ago I was back there, and at least got to see Tiger Stadium.
Thanks for reminding me of all that. And for reminding me how old I'm getting. lol.
SDGary
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down