What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit...

+4
SDGary
Ed
ProgRocker53
Frank
8 posters

Go down

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit... Empty for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit...

Post by Frank Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm

So, I know there are some guitarists here....so I figure this might be a worthy discussion.

I popped into Guitar Center today to try some new axes, as I'm in the market for one...and I stumbled on the new Fender VG guitar. Some of you may know this as Fender's answer to the Line6 Variax...basically, a modelling guitar. Fender's VG offers a regular strat mode, a modelled strat, a tele, a 2-humbucker guitar,a 12 string, with some alternate tunings like DADGAD, Baritone, drop D, etc

So I pull this thing off the wall. First thing I notice is it's putridly wrong 1700 price tag. Second thing I notice is that it looks and plays like a regular american series strat (dont get me started on *those* pieces of shit)...but for 700 extra dollars! Mad

Then I start playing with the models. Fucking awful. First, the 2-humbucker models BLEW. Really just BLEW. The 12 string sounded like elephant dick....and the alternate tuning models tracked for shit.

The only two models worth a 2 minute listen, were the strat and tele ones....and even they weren't very good.

So, anyone thinking that the VG is worth a look.....look elsewhere. A pure piece of crap....your standard american strat (which is a fucking overpriced piece of ass anyway) coupled with 700 dollars upcharge, an ugly roland midi pickup and some of the shittiest modelled guitars you'll ever hear!
Frank
Frank
Frank Talk
Frank Talk

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit... Empty Re: for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit...

Post by ProgRocker53 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 pm

Frank you're gonna save me a lot of hassle with your guitar rants... alot. Thanks. Razz

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit... Empty Re: for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit...

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:18 am

Most of the guitars sold be Fender are the cheap ass Mexican strats made by underpaid slave labor, or the Squires. They market the cheapo versions to kids and first time players while overcharging on the not much better quality American Standard strats. The pickups are always weak sounding.

Fenders are for fags. Stick with a nice fat sounding Les Paul with humbuckers or pick up something with P90 pickups and maintain your manhood.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 5243

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 am

Excellent points, Ed. I've never played a single coil guitar that sounded manly.

Eric Clapton took it up the ass anyway!

Fender sucks...cheaply built, zero corporate support for people who pay good money for overpriced shite...
Frank
Frank
Frank Talk
Frank Talk

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:36 pm

While you guys are on the subject of Strats, does anyone know why Neal always uses one on "Lights"? I've always wondered .........
SDGary
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:29 pm

My personal guitar of choice are ESP and Ibanez.
However I wouldnt turn down a nice acoustic Ovation....
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Number of posts : 2448
Registration date : 2008-05-17

https://newwtf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Behshad wrote:My personal guitar of choice are ESP and Ibanez.
However I wouldnt turn down a nice acoustic Ovation....

I have an Ovation Elite Standard Acoustic Electric. Looks something like this:

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit... 271450
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:36 pm

I will PM you where to send it ! bounce Shocked
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Here is a disturbing guitar related picture:

for guitarists: The Fender VG strat is a pure ass piece of shit... Disturb1
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Behshad Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Is that Monker???
Behshad
Behshad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Behshad wrote:Is that Monker???

YES! Laughing
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:50 pm

AR wrote:Here is a disturbing guitar related picture:

Maybe he can have the hair taken off his chest and pput onto his head.

This is gonna cause me nightmares.
Kate
Kate
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2055

Back to top Go down

Post by Steverino Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 pm

AR wrote:Here is a disturbing guitar related picture:

... those aren't guitars.... those are toys....

Steverino
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Fenders do suck. Single coil pickups are thin sounding.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Steverino Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Jimi and SRV would agree with ya...

Steverino
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Steverino wrote:Jimi and SRV would agree with ya...

Overrated. Stevie Ray boring Blues stuff, and Jimi set my guitar on fire. I don't like any of their crap. No real songs, just jamming. I am a melodic rock and metal fan. Rolling Stone magazine tells you to like them because you are supposed to. I take a stand saying they are gone from this earth because they contributed nothing. I'm sure they both have entire wings in the RnR HOF in Cleveland. MAjor yawn.

I'll give Hendrix a slight nod for being an early inivative, but he was a shitty vocalist and songwriter.
Ed
Ed
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm not a big Hendrix fan at all either. Yeah he's a pioneer and deserves props for that, but seriously, I cannot STAND listening to him...

and almost as bad are all the faux-hippie-revivalist-tools that plague the U20 population. I have so many friends that pride themselves on having "good taste in music" yet they're all stuck in the 60s listening to the same drawn-out pretentious Rolling Stoner bullshit....

and yes, I've given most of that a fair listen.... and let me say, just because you're the first to do something, doesn't mean you're necessarily the best.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:10 pm

SDGary wrote:While you guys are on the subject of Strats, does anyone know why Neal always uses one on "Lights"? I've always wondered .........

That's an easy one SDG. Lights was originally recorded on a strat. Strat's have a much different tone than Les Pauls...and Light's calls for a strat.

For as long as I can remember, up until about 3 years ago, Neal used a LP style guitar on lights when he played it live. (but probably used some spliting/tapping on the pickups to aproximate the sound of single coil strat pickups). He started playing a strat again for that song right around the time they axed Augeri...
Frank
Frank
Frank Talk
Frank Talk

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:31 pm

I only have a Gibson acoustic right now.. not much to write home about. Once my financials get in order I'm going to be investing in a new electric guitar and some decent accessories, so I can get back into cranking out the jams (I used to have a Squier Strat, gross I know).

I outlined a little bit of what I wanted in a PM to Frank (thinner neck and lower action, very clean and bright tone) and he recommends this Ibanez RG1570 to me... I looked it up and it does seem up my alley.

I want to model my playing style along the lines of Schon, Lukather, Petrucci, Reb Beach, Satriani, Steven Wilson, Rothery, Eric Johnson, etc. (tall order I know, but that's the style I dig most)

What other guitars do you folk think I should try out?

Man I wish there was a Guitar Center within an hour of me.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 pm

strangegrey wrote:
SDGary wrote:While you guys are on the subject of Strats, does anyone know why Neal always uses one on "Lights"? I've always wondered .........

That's an easy one SDG. Lights was originally recorded on a strat. Strat's have a much different tone than Les Pauls...and Light's calls for a strat.

For as long as I can remember, up until about 3 years ago, Neal used a LP style guitar on lights when he played it live. (but probably used some spliting/tapping on the pickups to aproximate the sound of single coil strat pickups). He started playing a strat again for that song right around the time they axed Augeri...

I've seen them several times-with Augeri and without-and he's always used the Strat for that. At least when I've seen them. Maybe it's just coincidence. I figured it had something to do with the tone. It just struck me that I've seen him use different guitars on other songs, but always the Strat on that one song. I thought maybe there was more to it. Thanks.
SDGary
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:45 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:I only have a Gibson acoustic right now.. not much to write home about. Once my financials get in order I'm going to be investing in a new electric guitar and some decent accessories, so I can get back into cranking out the jams (I used to have a Squier Strat, gross I know).

I outlined a little bit of what I wanted in a PM to Frank (thinner neck and lower action, very clean and bright tone) and he recommends this Ibanez RG1570 to me... I looked it up and it does seem up my alley.

I want to model my playing style along the lines of Schon, Lukather, Petrucci, Reb Beach, Satriani, Steven Wilson, Rothery, Eric Johnson, etc. (tall order I know, but that's the style I dig most)

What other guitars do you folk think I should try out?

Man I wish there was a Guitar Center within an hour of me.

Oh man, there's a Guitar Center RIGHT across the freeway from work. I've walked there several times. You poor boy.........
SDGary
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by conversationpc Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 pm

strangegrey wrote:Excellent points, Ed. I've never played a single coil guitar that sounded manly.

Eric Clapton took it up the ass anyway!

Fender sucks...cheaply built, zero corporate support for people who pay good money for overpriced shite...
I love the sound of a standard Stratocaster.
conversationpc
conversationpc
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by conversationpc Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 pm

AR wrote:
Steverino wrote:Jimi and SRV would agree with ya...

Overrated. Stevie Ray boring Blues stuff, and Jimi set my guitar on fire. I don't like any of their crap. No real songs, just jamming. I am a melodic rock and metal fan. Rolling Stone magazine tells you to like them because you are supposed to. I take a stand saying they are gone from this earth because they contributed nothing. I'm sure they both have entire wings in the RnR HOF in Cleveland. MAjor yawn.

I'll give Hendrix a slight nod for being an early inivative, but he was a shitty vocalist and songwriter.
SRV kicks ass...Hendrix was good but overrated, in my opinion.
conversationpc
conversationpc
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down