What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyrics, etc

+6
Rick
Ed
Jrny1
cat
Sarah
frfksakes
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lyrics, etc - Page 2 Empty Re: Lyrics, etc

Post by RockinDeano Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:51 pm

frfksakes wrote:
Case in point for the "cover band" argument: A whole CD of cover tunes. Not just the same songs, but a complete mimic of Perry's phrasing, his inflections...
This is what makes me angry,,
They have every right to move on, but to claim they're moving on with this greedy bastardization is ridiculous.

Would an Elton John or Freddie Mercury soundalike get away with this?

No

Nobody would buy a copycat version when they can buy the original.

So why are Journey fans so ok with it?

Maybe Arnel’s remarkable story has clouded people’s judgment. I know I’m impressed – and wish him well. Esp. since it is his story that has garnered Jrny so much attention.
Will he get compensated for that? I doubt it.

But let me tell you what I really think… Wink Laughing

I should have clarified. Of course the cover CD (rerecords) grinds my gears. That is nothing but a big "Fuck You" to Steve Perry. It has nothing to do with Walmart's desire. I don't care what you read elsewhere, that is complete bullshit. They are trying to get out from under Perry's shadow, and that will never happen.

Last edited by RockinDeano on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
RockinDeano
RockinDeano
Bay City Princess

Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:15 pm

pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
RockinDeano wrote:
journeyrock wrote:I agree with both of you guys. And I haven't even listened to it, much less buy it. I felt dirty just holding it at Walmart long enough to look at the pictures and then puke on the floor.

I have no interest in this cover band of Journey. If I want to hear a Journey Cover band, I'll go listen to Jeremey or Hugo.

I don't get the "cover band" argument. As much as a scumbag Journey organization is, they aren't a cover band. They reserve the right to hire anyone they desire.

Case in point for the "cover band" argument: A whole CD of cover tunes. Not just the same songs, but a complete mimic of Perry's phrasing, his inflections...
They have every right to move on, but to claim they're moving on with this greedy bastardization is ridiculous.

No

Maybe Arnel’s remarkable story has clouded people’s judgment. I know I’m impressed – and wish him well. Esp. since it is his story that has garnered Jrny so much attention.

When you play your own music, it's not considered a cover.

It's amusing that people are ok with Chalfant recording Journeys music and making money off of it, but Journey can't do that with their own stuff. Some of the arguments are completely ridiculous. You people are high.

Their music (including Perry) - But HIS voice, HIS phrasing, HIS inflections...

Journey is only proving that it really is all about the voice (which, personally, I don't think it is).

Otherwise, they'd have the fucking balls to let the music, and Neal's incredible guitar, stand on it's own with a great vocalist who sings in their OWN voice.

completely strange example but, there can't be a more famous song than Over the Rainbow, yet there is a Hawaiian version that is true to the original while being it's own song - and it is GREAT.

On top of everything else, I feel cheated that Journey hasn't shown more creativity.

Last edited by frfksakes on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
frfksakes
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by cat Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 pm

frfksakes wrote:[...] greedy bastardization [...]

oh I like that!!!

Cat
cat
cat
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1598

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 pm

frfksakes wrote:
pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
RockinDeano wrote:
journeyrock wrote:I agree with both of you guys. And I haven't even listened to it, much less buy it. I felt dirty just holding it at Walmart long enough to look at the pictures and then puke on the floor.

I have no interest in this cover band of Journey. If I want to hear a Journey Cover band, I'll go listen to Jeremey or Hugo.

I don't get the "cover band" argument. As much as a scumbag Journey organization is, they aren't a cover band. They reserve the right to hire anyone they desire.

No

It's amusing that people are ok with Chalfant recording Journeys music and making money off of it, but Journey can't do that with their own stuff. Some of the arguments are completely ridiculous. You people are high.

Journey is only proving that it really is all about the voice (which, personally, I don't think it is).

Otherwise, they'd have the fucking balls to let the music, and Neal's incredible guitar, stand on it's own with a great vocalist who sings in their OWN voice.

completely strange example but, there can't be a more famous song than Over the Rainbow, yet there is a Hawaiian version that is true to the original while being it's own song - and it is GREAT.

On top of everything else, I feel cheated that Journey hasn't shown more creativity.

Well that would be like McDonalds scrapping their menu and doing something completely different, when they know the menu they have now is what fuels their sales. It would be very risky. These guys are too old to take chances like that. You can't expect them to mess around with a great formula.
Rick
Rick
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyrock Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm

RockinDeano wrote:
frfksakes wrote:

No

I should have clarified. Of course the cover CD (rerecords) grinds my gears. That is nothing but a big "Fuck You" to Steve Perry. It has nothing to do with Walmart's desire. I don't care what you read elsewhere, that is complete bullshit. They are trying to get out from under Perry's shadow, and that will never happen.
Thank you frfksakes, that is my point. I have NO problem whatsoever with them doing new music. I think they should and they have every right to go forward. I don't care to buy it, but they have every right to do it.

However, re-doing those original "classic" songs when they were perfect is nothing in my eyes, but Neal trying to get even. And erase the Perry legacy from Journey. And it's wrong on so many levels.
journeyrock
journeyrock
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
RockinDeano wrote:

No

Maybe Arnel’s remarkable story has clouded people’s judgment. I know I’m impressed – and wish him well. Esp. since it is his story that has garnered Jrny so much attention. Will he get compensated for that? I doubt it.

Well that would be like McDonalds scrapping their menu and doing something completely different, when they know the menu they have now is what fuels their sales. It would be very risky. These guys are too old to take chances like that. You can't expect them to mess around with a great formula.

Hah, funny you should bring up McDonalds...

from one of my rants:

" ... the masses will buy any McDonaldized crap."

lol. I hear you, Rick. But I guess that's part of the problem, my problem...
I DID expect them to mess with the formula, and maybe even make it better...

But instead of focusing on the music, they've focused on (going through 3 people) trying to copy Perry's voice as closely as possible ...

I understand if their goal is to have a solid place on the nostalgic tours. But then they should call it what is - And I'm just disappointed that they're satisfied with that.

Neal is better than that.
frfksakes
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm

frfksakes wrote:
pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
pRick wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
RockinDeano wrote:

No

Maybe Arnel’s remarkable story has clouded people’s judgment. I know I’m impressed – and wish him well. Esp. since it is his story that has garnered Jrny so much attention. Will he get compensated for that? I doubt it.

Hah, funny you should bring up McDonalds...

from one of my rants:

" ... the masses will buy any McDonaldized crap."

lol. I hear you, Rick. But I guess that's part of the problem, my problem...
I DID expect them to mess with the formula, and maybe even make it better...

But instead of focusing on the music, they've focused on (going through 3 people) trying to copy Perry's voice as closely as possible ...

I understand if their goal is to have a solid place on the nostalgic tours. But then they should call it what is - And I'm just disappointed that they're satisfied with that.

Neal is better than that.

You have great arguments, and I damn sure respect them. But I want Journey to sound like Journey. I can't get that with SP because he wont do it anymore. Fucker. I was sure on board with what might have been with JSS. God dammit that would have rocked. That didn't happen, so I'm good with what is, and very pleasantly surprised. Arnel is great.
Rick
Rick
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:14 pm

pRick wrote:
You have great arguments, and I damn sure respect them. But I want Journey to sound like Journey. I can't get that with SP because he wont do it anymore. Fucker. I was sure on board with what might have been with JSS. God dammit that would have rocked. That didn't happen, so I'm good with what is, and very pleasantly surprised. Arnel is great.

LOLOL! Agree 1000% about Perry & JSS.

& I totally respect your view on the rest. I see your enthusiasm in various posts, and it's almost contagious, lol...

almostWink

Strangely, I really do wish Arnel the best, even while I curse his bandmates, lol…
frfksakes
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Two founding members, a prominent 27-year member, one of the world's best drummers and a proven vocal commodity in Arnel...

....cover band my ass.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:

Two founding members, a prominent 27-year member, one of the world's best drummers and a proven vocal commodity in Arnel...

....cover band my ass.

Yes, but they're copying HIS voice,,,, don't get me started again, Laughing
frfksakes
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:02 pm

frfksakes wrote:
ProgRocker53 wrote:

....cover band my ass.

I'd get my singer to copy Perry on an extra disc too if it meant locking down a Wal-Mart deal and pulling in the jack.

However, there are only scant moments on the all-ORIGINAL disc where Arnel sounds like Perry. Yes, the dude was hired partially because he could easily nail the Perry parts in concert, BUT, he was also hired because he brings a certain degree of versatility to the table. If Journey wanted to do Aerosmithish hard-rockers, Zeppelinish blues numbers, Survivorish power anthems or what the hell ever they've got the guy that can do it.

I look forward to a fruitful future with Arnel and can't wait to hear what he brings to the table on what Neal calls a "rock-heavy" sophomore album. He will be able to help the band diversify just as much as JSS would vocally... even though JSS's more-proven writing talent gives him the edge over Arnel in my book.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
ProgRocker53 wrote:

....cover band my ass.

I'd get my singer to copy Perry on an extra disc too if it meant locking down a Wal-Mart deal and pulling in the jack.

Which is the very definition of a cover band, Wink Laughing

(I definitely agree ie JSS)
frfksakes
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content