What The Fuck ®
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Americans Stupid?

+3
yulog
Lynn
Styxman
7 posters

Go down

Are Americans Stupid? Empty Are Americans Stupid?

Post by Styxman Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm

USA scores the lowest in national average IQ among the developed countries of the world, at a national average score of 98. The data is obtained from IQ and Global Equality by Dr. Richard Lynn (professor of Psychology, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland) and Dr. Tatu Vanhanen (University of Tampere, Finland) who have done extensive research on the subject spanning several years. The national average IQ score of Americans at 98 is below 22 countries (including Switzerland, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, North Korea and China). The low Intelligence Quotient (IQ) score of United States puts the Americans at a lower intelligence level on an average as compared to the other industralised nations.

The mathematical skills and abilities to process mathematical problems put America on a weak spot. American high school students scored 483 in the test Program for International Student Assessment. The average scores of American students were way below those of top scoring countries like South Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland, etc. all of whom scored between 503 and 544 (significantly higher than US scores). Mathematical skills, scientific temper and the ability to apply mathematical knowledge are essential in the present world and they are the roots of logical and scientific reasoning. If this becomes a weak point, a person’s ability to fare well in science, logical and anaytical thinking would suffer as well.

Another study as a special report by ABC showed that in scientific and mathematical skills, an average Belgian kid scored better than a skilled American. By age fifteen Americans fell behind 25 countries in this test. They scored worse than countries which spend much less in education. The report also states that in US, mediocrity is encouraged by monopoly of public school and opportunity based scholarships, which is hurting the academic ability of Americans when compared to the rest of the world. Yes, monopoly hurts because there is no competition to better oneself against, but when it comes to countries with lesser quality of education it says something. Those countries are not well off either but in spite of that they do better than US.

“American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.” This is an excerpt from an article by New York Times which did a study and survey of Americans to determine their awareness. Coming from a nation where half the schools do not teach the science of evolution, scientific outlook is discouraged and a lot of emphasis is laid on religious education, the results are hardly surprising.

Now with all these statistics and research data it is up to you, the reader to decide if Americans really deserve the ’stupid’ tag. As with any nation, there are always exceptions which means not all Americans fit these statistics. But a majority of Americans do which creates the average data at a lower level than the other countries.

DISCUSS Very Happy
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2131
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Are Americans Stupid? Empty Re: Are Americans Stupid?

Post by Lynn Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm

It was too much for a dumb American like me to read...do you have a cliff note version?? Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by yulog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Styxman wrote:USA scores the lowest in national average IQ among the developed countries of the world, at a national average score of 98. The data is obtained from IQ and Global Equality by Dr. Richard Lynn (professor of Psychology, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland) and Dr. Tatu Vanhanen (University of Tampere, Finland) who have done extensive research on the subject spanning several years. The national average IQ score of Americans at 98 is below 22 countries (including Switzerland, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, North Korea and China). The low Intelligence Quotient (IQ) score of United States puts the Americans at a lower intelligence level on an average as compared to the other industralised nations.

The mathematical skills and abilities to process mathematical problems put America on a weak spot. American high school students scored 483 in the test Program for International Student Assessment. The average scores of American students were way below those of top scoring countries like South Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland, etc. all of whom scored between 503 and 544 (significantly higher than US scores). Mathematical skills, scientific temper and the ability to apply mathematical knowledge are essential in the present world and they are the roots of logical and scientific reasoning. If this becomes a weak point, a person’s ability to fare well in science, logical and anaytical thinking would suffer as well.

Another study as a special report by ABC showed that in scientific and mathematical skills, an average Belgian kid scored better than a skilled American. By age fifteen Americans fell behind 25 countries in this test. They scored worse than countries which spend much less in education. The report also states that in US, mediocrity is encouraged by monopoly of public school and opportunity based scholarships, which is hurting the academic ability of Americans when compared to the rest of the world. Yes, monopoly hurts because there is no competition to better oneself against, but when it comes to countries with lesser quality of education it says something. Those countries are not well off either but in spite of that they do better than US.

“American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.” This is an excerpt from an article by New York Times which did a study and survey of Americans to determine their awareness. Coming from a nation where half the schools do not teach the science of evolution, scientific outlook is discouraged and a lot of emphasis is laid on religious education, the results are hardly surprising.

Now with all these statistics and research data it is up to you, the reader to decide if Americans really deserve the ’stupid’ tag. As with any nation, there are always exceptions which means not all Americans fit these statistics. But a majority of Americans do which creates the average data at a lower level than the other countries.

DISCUSS Very Happy

I guess we still have our teeth rabbit Laughing

yulog
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 407
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:20 pm

I posted this for a serious discussion - guess the article's correct to a certain degree judging by the first two replies Very Happy

Ed meets up with ya Yul - you'll have no fuckin' teeth dude - so don't be a wise ass affraid
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Coming from a nation where half the schools do not teach the science of evolution

Is this correct????
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by yulog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Styxman wrote:Coming from a nation where half the schools do not teach the science of evolution

Is this correct????

They are referring to the catholic schools Shocked

yulog
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by yulog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Styxman wrote:

Ed meets up with ya Yul - you'll have no fuckin' teeth dude - so don't be a wise ass affraid

Are Americans Stupid? Smiley2928

yulog
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint John Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Who always wins on Jeopardy?!?!?! Laughing
Saint John
Saint John
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 2075

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Yes!
especially when it comes to music. Laughing
Deb
Deb
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Deb wrote:Yes!
except for when it comes to hockey. Laughing

Twisted Evil Wink Laughing Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Me no believe dis dum shitt.
Liam
Liam
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 am

This country is in a serious funk and has lost it's edge. I think that comes from apathy, and I think the apathy comes from a lack of pride. A kid was made to take the American flag off of his bicycle, by his school, because it could offend immigrants. That was later recanted, but it's thing like that going on, which was unheard of just a couple of decades ago, that is causing this country to lose it's identity and pride.

It has also lost it's sense of community and civic duty. When I was a kid, we were either going to church, visiting the grandparents or neighbors, the keys were left in the car and the front door of the house was unlocked until bedtime. Now we barricade ourselves in our homes and don't get involved with anything. I remember my dad was involved in everything, from the Jaycees to the Kiwanis club, to going to city council meetings. I don't know anyone anymore who's involved in the community like that.

Too many kids are being raised by child care providers that just want to get through the day and go home. They don't get from the child care provider what a stay-at-home parent, or a parent who's able to be home when the child is, can provide.

So many parents don't sit and read with their kids anymore. They're too tired from working long hours to try to make a nice home, or just make ends meet. And I think sitting and reading to a child teaches that child to love doing that, and in turn, that child will be much better prepared when it enters school. When a child enters school and is lost from the start, it's difficult, if not impossible, without tutoring, to get caught up, and that child's education can be very compromised.

The data they have compiled could very well be skewed by the huge amount of immigration this country is seeing. This guy explains the increase in immigration, really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muw22wTePqQ

These are just my thoughts, and they may be way off base, but whatever it is, it's something that needs to be corrected, right away.

Rick
Rick
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:30 am

Deb wrote:Yes!
especially when it comes to music. Laughing

They haven't even bothered with a study on you lot - so go crawl back into ya Igloo Very Happy
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 am

Rick wrote:
It has also lost it's sense of community and civic duty. When I was a kid, we were either going to church, visiting the grandparents or neighbors, the keys were left in the car and the front door of the house was unlocked until bedtime. Now we barricade ourselves in our homes and don't get involved with anything. I remember my dad was involved in everything, from the Jaycees to the Kiwanis club, to going to city council meetings. I don't know anyone anymore who's involved in the community like that.

I'd go with this for sure. However in an earlier article they talked about the image Americans portray when on Holiday abroad and how we view them - I think Europeans think they're a cut above Americans on Culture and intellect - I think that daft fucker Borat has a lot to do with categorising the Americans as being stupid.

Bible belt has a lot to do with it also - keeps people tethered down and away from embracing what's current in the world.
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:00 am

Styxman wrote:
Rick wrote:

I'd go with this for sure. However in an earlier article they talked about the image Americans portray when on Holiday abroad and how we view them - I think Europeans think they're a cut above Americans on Culture and intellect - I think that daft fucker Borat has a lot to do with categorising the Americans as being stupid.

Well, if anyone in Europe thinks that a comedians fictional character is a depiction of Americans as a whole, then I have to question who may be more daft... Laughing

Europeans will always think they are a cut above. That's exactly how we Americans perceive them. As pompous and arrogant! See, it goes both ways! Laughing What's funny is, America is full of people from cultures and countries all over the world. So who do we blame?? Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:34 am

Lynn wrote:
Well, if anyone in Europe thinks that a comedians fictional character is a depiction of Americans as a whole, then I have to question who may be more daft... Laughing

Europeans will always think they are a cut above. That's exactly how we Americans perceive them. As pompous and arrogant! See, it goes both ways! Laughing What's funny is, America is full of people from cultures and countries all over the world. So who do we blame?? Laughing

It's not taken from Fictional characters ya MORON Very Happy It's holiday makers for real - you ever followed a group of American Tourists around in London - you'd get what I'm on about! Even the Saatchi Gallery had an exhibit of modern art depicting a American tourist and it did take the piss of your stero typical American with the cap, sneakers, chinos and Hawaiian shirt

I'm sure it's the NY Times that wrote this article so it's not from a European standpoint.

Don't worry us Bristish are the same abroad and the immigration and society breakdown is rife here also. Bring back Ronald Reagan Very Happy
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 am

Dan - you still playing Jeopardy? Very Happy
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:03 am

Styxman wrote:
Lynn wrote:
It's not taken from Fictional characters ya MORON Very Happy It's holiday makers for real - you ever followed a group of American Tourists around in London - you'd get what I'm on about! Even the Saatchi Gallery had an exhibit of modern art depicting a American tourist and it did take the piss of your stero typical American with the cap, sneakers, chinos and Hawaiian shirt
I'm sure it's the NY Times that wrote this article so it's not from a European standpoint.
Don't worry us Bristish are the same abroad and the immigration and society breakdown is rife here also. Bring back Ronald Reagan Very Happy

Razz Laughing You don't have to tell me about strangely dressed American tourists....I live in Orlando, their Mecca! Laughing But do you really think these people dress like this everyday? Well, some maybe! Laughing But most just think it's fun to dress that way on vacation. I personally don't Laughing We make fun of those people Laughing But I have to ask. What do goofy clothes have to do with intelligence levels? Some of the most intelligent people I know, are very witty and humorous, and some would dress silly on vacation, in fun. How does what you wear correlate with IQ? Laughing Americans like to dress comfortably. When I see european women in their high heels, at Disney World...I ask, who's smarter? Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 am

It has nothing to do with intelligence, you're absolutely right but it just adds to the mind thought of others - stupid I know.

I thought in Florida, they just wore bikini's and head phones and pumped iron on the beach - now there's an intelligent bunch for sure. Shouldn't you be at the Beach now?????
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:17 am

Styxman wrote:It has nothing to do with intelligence, you're absolutely right but it just adds to the mind thought of others - stupid I know.

I thought in Florida, they just wore bikini's and head phones and pumped iron on the beach - now there's an intelligent bunch for sure. Shouldn't you be at the Beach now?????

I think maybe you have Florida mixed up with California Laughing I don't see much of that on our beaches! Maybe some beer bellies, muffin tops in bikinis, older people with leathery skin from baking in the sun in their retirement and an occassional Euro trying to pull off a speedo Wink Laughing Possibly Miami has more attractive beach goers? Haven't seen their beaches! I WISH I was at the beach!!! Laughing
Lynn
Lynn
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Styxman Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:28 am

Me too - it's -12 degrees over here....Freezin Crying or Very sad
Styxman
Styxman
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down